Thursday, July 02, 2009

Parties, a Tony, and Learning to be a Chelsea Girl

Cue up "Chelsea Girls" by Nico.

I went on hiatus for about a year, as Ithaca really isn't that interesting once the clouds roll in (and stay for 7 months), but now that I am back and living in super cool Chelsea I figured that it was time for my gallant return....

Last Thursday was the Public Theater's Gala. This is the main fundraiser for the Public, and serves to honor individuals who have given their lives to furthering the arts in New York City. This year the gala honored Mike Nichols (director of The Graduate, various Shakespeare in the Park productions) and Susan Lynne. This is the biggest event all year, so working in special events was intense. I can say that I feel a bit more prepared to deal with my sister's upcoming wedding as seating charts (complete with post-its, edits, and a highlighter version of an actor proclaiming his greatness), flower arrangements, linens, votives, table arrangements, and liquor (acquisition, delivery, returning once we discovered the first batch of white wine was skunked, re-ordering, re-delivering, etc...) were all a part of the process. I learned a lot, and I now feel (after listening to my wonderful coworkers) that I know exactly what to say when convincing patrons that the arts are always important, even in times of great economic drought when people are buying ramen wholesale because its cheaper that way. All of the craziness was worth it though as the event, which consisted of a dinner, the opening night performance of 12th Night, and a party at Belvedere Castle, was beautiful. Better yet, come 12:01 AM, we were met with rave reviews, including this one from Chris Isherwood at NYT.

A sample table setting from the Gala dinner

Kira and I in front of the Step and Repeat


The Party at Belvedere Castle


Kira, Raynelle, and I at the party

Kira and I at the party


Dan and I doing our best Prom pose

Visit http://nymag.com/nightlife/partylines/2009/06/26/ to view New York Magazine's coverage of the event!

After THAT I needed to decompress. I wanted to hide in my apartment from any form of event or situation where I would have to be pulled from my temporary hermitage. I've been in the city for a while, but due to this or that I haven't really been able to explore my neighborhood. On Friday it was *beautiful* out (a rare occurrence this summer) so I went to Chelsea Market for the first time. I didn't get anything to eat, but now I know where I'm going when I decide that I need to consume something ridiculously delicious. I brought my new Diana camera out with me, just in case I saw some cool things out on the street. I did, but I still have to find a place that develops 120mm film. Bah. On my walk I went to 192 Books, which is touted by Time Out New York to be the best book store in New York City. I went... but the pretension drove me away almost immediately... and its small so everyone is right on top of each other. It was too much for me. I fled. I continued down 10th Ave to a few galleries. The one I liked the best was called "The Female Gaze". It was a bunch of different stuff that were all done by women. Luckily it was small so I got to feel cultured without having to stay too long. From there I ventured to a sample sale and then back home, where season one of True Blood awaited me. I'm obsessed... it makes me want to drop everything and move to some bizarre Cajun town and eat spicy shrimp. I guess I could do that down the street from my apartment, but it isn't the same thing. Seriously, just watch the HBO opening credits and tell me that you aren't hooked. That was my Friday night. It was glorious.

By Saturday I'd grown tired of my hermitage and decided that it was time I ventured out into the world. I met my friend Liz Staley and her friend Jason at this really funny bar called The Trailer Park Lounge, which is quite literally themed after and looks like the inside of a trailer park. It is AWESOME. I've never seen such a collection of kitsch. They also have great food and tater tots. So. You heard it hear first. Go this bar... if you're strange and the atmosphere doesn't get you, the margaritas most certainly will. After this adventure we were off to Chelsea Piers to bowl at 300. This is the most ridiculous place I have ever been too, because it is essentially a club with a massive bowling ally. Plus, with the passing of Michael Jackson (RIP MJ), the place was playing hit after hit. Everyone was really into it. It was a good time.

Sunday was my favorite holiday of the year: PRIDE! Hooray! I'm so lucky to live right off 5th so my friend Kira and I got to enjoy the parade without having to deal with too much craziness. Unfortunately I had to clean my apartment and do laundry, etc for the rest of the day... so the excitement pretty much stops there. Unless you're into that sort of thing. Anyway.

This week has been a cacophony of Delacorte Investor dinners (companies that give money to Shakespeare in the Park) and RAIN. And yet the investors ate their catered dinner underneath umbrellas and the standby line for tickets did not even remotely go down. This makes The Delacorte Theater a magical place. 12th Night has officially exploded. Between HAIR on Broadway (and our best revival TONY win!) and 12th Night, its safe to say that the Public is owning the New York theater scene at the moment. The Twelfth Night run ends July 12 so its getting down to crunch time with tickets. Our second show is Euripides' The Bacchae. That runs from August 11 to the 30th.

***Shameless plug***
If you happen to be interested in getting tickets, or want to know the way that tickets in Central Park works, visit the Public's website. If you work for a company that you think might want to buy a block of tickets and have a catered backstage theater dinner PLEASE contact me. The Bacchae is going to be really great... plus Greek tragedies were meant to be seen in open air amphitheaters, right? Leave a comment here, or shoot me an email.

And tomorrow... the fourth of July! Have a great, safe holiday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Positively 23rd Street | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates