Friday, July 24, 2009
I lose! Another lame excuse for sporadic posting...
Hey all,
So sorry about the pause in posting. My wrist actually exploded with nerves and upset tendons and the like, and therefore I have been unable to type with the manner in which I have become accustomed. The whole experience has been very frustrating. I am happy to report that I am back (and now typing with perky wrists!) I am ready to bestow a two week report.
I have been up to ALOT. Today we have bad dates, reunions, concerts, venue bookings, and the week the plague took over the Public offices.
Item one - bad dates. I have ventured onto JDate. It is true. After my sister became engaged to her boyfriend, whom she met on the site, I decided that it's time to land me a man. Or at least try. There are lots of things to say about JDate... but my first question is where the hell do some of these people come from? Also, if you are on a dating site and someone contacts you, why would you not contact them back? The line of assumption here is that if you are on a dating site you are paying for this service in the hopes of meeting people... therefore ignoring messages seems a little counter-intuitive, no? Maybe I'm missing something. Or worse, I'm being mistaken for some kind of creeper. Ew.
Last Saturday I did venture out on my first JDate date. I was IMed by someone named Levi. He seemed normal. I did the preliminary scan (Jdate profile, google search, facebook - you really can find anything on the Internet) and he checked out. So we talked for a bit and then he asked me to go for a drink. No big deal. Except that it was. See, Levi was a complete weirdo. First of all, I don't know who the pictures were of on the JDate profile, but it most certainly was NOT him. Turns out he is in his third year of law school at Hofstra. Trying to make conversation, I asked him what kind of law he was studying. He said that he didn't really know, he thought that he might want to be a criminal lawyer. I tried to make a joke anyway. "Like on CSI?" I asked. He just looked at me funny. He said "Yeah. I guess. But, you know, a real lawyer." I wanted to run right then. Luckily the bartender got wind of this conversation and the two of us had an eye conversation in which he indicated that he would hang out on our end of the bar and intercede if need be. Thank goodness. Anyway, Levi went on to tell me that he was raised with eleven brothers and sisters in a modern orthodox family. He left "the tribe" when he was 16 and his parents still barely speak to him. He told me that if it wasn't for his philosophy that everything happens for a reason, then he would have committed suicide by now. Um, WHAT?! The bartender actually laughed to himself when he heard that, and I downed my drink because it was all just too much. As a preemptive strike I had made sure that Alix was going to call me at 10 PM with an emergency so I would have to leave if the date was bad. As always she came through and I was out of there within 10 minutes. Lesson learned: dating is tough. Just give in to a life of good friends and wine. The end.
On Monday night I went to a comped performance at Joe's Pub again, this time seeing Ryness. Bryce Ryness is currently in HAIR and it was a lot of fun to reconnect with the lot of them again. Bryce's band is GREAT. They have a new album on itunes (RYNESS : A Fire in the Night) I suggest that you check it out. Live, Bryce sounds like Robert Plant. For reals. I saw that concert with the lovely Liz Staley, which was great fun - and then I traveled on to reunite with my old boarding school friend, Andrew. It's weird to call him Andrew now, because at school we always called him by his last name... but I guess we all grow up, right? It was really wonderful to see him and catch up. He's always been very interesting, and its kind of fun to see people grow into themselves. He's involved in a very interesting project right now about an incident that occurred in Way Cross, Georgia. He is writing a play about a group of third graders that plotted to kill their teacher. Insane. It's intriguing to hear about race and the way people still live in the South. There is still very real segregation, distrust, and anger down there. I cannot wait to read what he has done. I was nervous about meeting him as I tend to edit my entire Williston experience out of my adolescence, but in this case I was wrong. Hopefully I will see him again soon.
This week at work my keeper is out on vacation so I am doing her job. I've had a lot of fun doing it, and I've gotten to check out various venue locs for our Othello run. I'm heading up that search at the moment, so it is very exciting when people call to speak to me about it.
Tonight Dan and I are going out with friends from college for the first time this whole summer! I'm not sure what we are doing exactly, but I do feel confidant that it will warrant an interesting post.
xxRR
ps - I have video of the concert that I will post when I get home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment