Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Quell My Bleeding Liberal Heart [kennedys]
The Kennedy reign has been fraught with peril, PR disasters, dysfunctional family dinners, and unbelievable sadness but I always understood them to be the human symbol of the American Dream. This is not to say that this was grounded in reality or in their actual political decisions, but instead to say that their time and upheaval in American politics has resulted in their name becoming an infallible symbol of America's hope, prosperity, and possibility.
The truth of the matter is that until JFK there was not much of an ideological difference between democrats and republicans. Both were members of the Bohemian Club, both had silver spoons, and both played the game. JFK became a symbol for justice during the civil rights campaign. In fact, JFK didn't want to touch the civil rights issue. He felt that it was too sensitive and too big of a mess to take on. It was not until the dogs were set on black children in Alabama that he acted. This was, in fact, not of his own calling but instead of the critique of other countries. How could the POTUS allow hoses and dogs to be sicked on small children and not do anything? This, readers, was the beginning of John F. Kennedy, POTUS becoming JFK, beacon of American Idealism.
This is important because this symbol, despite motivations, became a cornerstone of our country. Obama ran his entire campaign based on the same ideals touted by the Kennedys. Throughout their very public trials, the American people have continued to believed in them and their message. Today, the Kennedy reign is over. As the NYT published yesterday:
"That seat, held for nearly half a century by Mr. Kennedy, the liberal lion of the Senate, will now by held by a Republican who has said he supports water boarding as an interrogation technique for terrorism suspects; opposes a federal cap-and-trade program to reduce carbon emissions; and opposed a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants unless they leave the country."
Mr. Brown also strongly opposes gay marriage. How did this happen in Massachusetts? I am very sad for today. I only half understand why it happened and I'm not sure anyone is sure what the full impact will be. I can't help but feel that the sea change that swept the country during the election has passed and Americans have again seceded to safe, traditional views that they are comfortable with. I mentioned in my last post that the youth of today are passive and lazy. Posting a facebook status or updating a twitter account does not a revolution make. If you feel the way that I do please educate yourself on the issues, and spread the message. There are so many ways to help that are local. I don't know if young people just don't think that this effects us or what, but it does.
I phone-banked for Massachusetts via Obama for America. If you're interested about democratic policy or want to be in the loop so you can hear about active opportunities for change, just visit BarackObama.com. It really is that easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment